The clocks go back this weekend, which means an extra hour in bed for many of us. Warwickshire County Council have some useful advice on home security:
- Check that all doors and windows are securely locked before leaving the house or going to bed.
- If you’re going away or out for the evening, set a timer switch to turn your lights on when it gets dark. Unlit houses are a giveaway that no one is at home.
- If you’re going to be away for a longer period of time, consider asking a neighbour or relative to clear the post away from the doormat and open and close the curtains.
- Never leave keys anywhere near the front door or letterbox; burglars know where to look.
- If you have a house alarm… USE IT. Make sure you set it when you go out and when you go to bed.
- If you’re closing up a shed or outbuilding for the winter, make sure you leave it secure. Fit and use a good quality padlock.
While you’re thinking about home safety, take a minute to check your smoke alarms. It could save your life!