Many thanks to Vanessa Bradshaw for organising a spooktacular pre-Halloween trick or treat extravaganza in the village on Saturday night and for all the householders who participated.
Take a look at the gallery below for some haunting images of the night!
The clocks go back this weekend, which means an extra hour in bed for many of us. Warwickshire County Council have some useful advice on home security:
- Check that all doors and windows are securely locked before leaving the house or going to bed.
- If you’re going away or out for the evening, set a timer switch to turn your lights on when it gets dark. Unlit houses are a giveaway that no one is at home.
- If you’re going to be away for a longer period of time, consider asking a neighbour or relative to clear the post away from the doormat and open and close the curtains.
- Never leave keys anywhere near the front door or letterbox; burglars know where to look.
- If you have a house alarm… USE IT. Make sure you set it when you go out and when you go to bed.
- If you’re closing up a shed or outbuilding for the winter, make sure you leave it secure. Fit and use a good quality padlock.
While you’re thinking about home safety, take a minute to check your smoke alarms. It could save your life!
There have been two thefts of vehicles from villages near Avon Dassett. Please see the details below:
Vehicle Stolen From Farm in Wellesbourne
Incident 167 of 21 October – Wellesbourne: During the night of 20 into 21 October, offenders stole a blue Ford Focus vehicle from a farm premises in Staple Hill, Wellesbourne. If you saw anything or have any information that could help the police with their enquiries please call 101 and refer to inc 167 of 21/10/17. Alternatively call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 anonymously. For crime prevention advice visit: www.warwickshireruralwatch.co.uk
Landrover Stolen From Farm in Warmington
During the night of 16 into 17 October, offenders entered the secure compound of a farm premises in Warmington, Banbury and stole a green Land Rover.
If you saw anything or have any information that could help the police with their enquiries please call 101 and refer to inc 290 of 22/10/17. Alternatively call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 anonymously. For crime prevention advice visit: www.warwickshireruralwatch.co.uk
Remembrance Sunday in Avon Dassett will take place at 12 noon on Sunday 12th November. Father Bill will officiate.
For details please see poster above.
Draft accounts show that over £4000 was raised at the 2017 Dassett Country Show. Of the funds available for 2017 profits will be split 50/50% between two charities: Dogs for Good and Maggies’s Centre and local projects, groups and village events.
Applications were received from the following organisations and donations agreed:
- Fenny Compton church – £200
- Farnborough church – £200. This is towards the repair of the North Lychgate.
- Avon Dassett Parish Council – £500. Towards the purchase of a new notice board.
- Fenny Compton Brownies – £100. To support their ongoing activities.
- Scouts – £500. There are now so many applicants to join the Scouts that they
are considering a second troop.
- Abacus Pre-school – £300. This is funding for a sand play area.
The AGM of the Dassett Country Show will be held on Thursday 12 October at 7.30 in the Reading Room in Avon Dassett.
Results from this year’s show will be presented, applications for funding for local projects and groups will be considered and the committee for next year’s show will be elected.
Please come along if you can- all welcome.